Carondelet is a neighborhood in the extreme southeastern portion of St. Louis.
It was founded in 1767 as the Village of Louisbourg, and renamed Carondelet in 1796 in honor of the current Spanish governor: Baron Francoise Louis Hector de Carondelet. In a 1799 census, Carondelet was described as "two leagues below St. Louis" and having a population of 181 whites and 3 slaves.  It was incorporated as an independent city in 1851 and was annexed by the City of St. Louis in 1870. As of the 2000 Census, the neighborhood has a population of 9,960 people.
Originally, the neighborhood was comprised of predominantly French and then later German immigrants. Today the neighborhood contains a mixture of industrial uses along the Mississippi River and residential and commercial uses further from the river. Because it once existed as an independent village, the neighborhood contains some of the oldest homes in St. Louis. Most of the housing was constructed between 1880 and 1930. Housing in the area ranges from modest single story cottages, to apartment buildings, to larger single family homes. Most of the housing is of brick construction.
<googlemap lat="38.560449" lon="-90.266504" zoom="14" width="700" controls="large"> 38.55639, -90.26643, Carondelet, St. Louis, MO, USA </googlemap>