Covenant Theological Seminary
Covenant Theological Seminary is the denominational seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). It is located in St. Louis, and its purpose is to train leaders for work in the church and the world — especially as pastors, missionaries, and counselors. It does not require all students to be members of the PCA, but it is loyal to the teachings of its denomination. Faculty must subscribe to the system of biblical doctrine as outlined in the Westminster Standards.
The seminary was originally established by Christians in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, who believed that their denomination, born out of resistance to rising liberal influences, needed a strong theological school of its own. In 1956, Covenant Seminary began with eleven students on a plot of land a few miles west of St. Louis. The seminary continued to grow in both size and reputation in the years that followed. In 1982, following a denominational merger (known as the "joining and receiving") between what had become the Reformed Presbyterian Church-Evangelical Synod (itself the result of a merger in 1965 of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America-General Synod) and the PCA, Covenant Seminary became the national seminary of the PCA, which elects and oversees the work of the seminary's Board of Trustees.
As a fully accredited seminary by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools in 1973 and Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada in 1983, Covenant offers several academic degrees: Master of Divinity, Master of Arts (in Educational Ministries, Theological Studies, Counseling, or Exegetical Theology), Master of Theology, and Doctor of Ministry.
The seminary is also home to the Francis Schaeffer Institute, which encourages Christians to engage contemporary culture in a compassionate way with the truth-claims of the gospel.
The current faculty includes: