Create A User Name
Although it's not mandatory, creating a user name before you begin editing is the best way for everyone to know one another, in and outside of the Wiki. Most people choose to use their real names, but an alias or screen name is fine as well.
Don't forget, the Wiki is warm, so there's no need to be shy.
Making Your First Edits
Below are some helpful tips to learn how to edit the Wiki, but if you're a bit nervous about jumping straight into the big leagues, you can play around in the Sandbox. The Sandbox is a community sandbox where you can mess around and practice some editing techniques without editing regular pages. It's a good place to get your WikiLegs on as you prepare to travel the WikiSeas.
The best way to learn though is to just dive right in! Go for a swim and see what other editors have done. Copy code from places you like and make it your own.
Create A New Page
There are two ways to create a page, both very simple.
- On a page that already exists, you can create a link to the page you want to create. For example, if you wanted to make a page about the Geese, you could go to the Waterfowl page and edit it with the following markup.
- Then it will look like this Geese.
- Then click on the link and it will take you to a blank edit page where you can create your page.
- In the searchbox on the left side of the page, type the desired name of the page you want to create.
- If a page with that title already exists it will show up, if not you'll see a sentence that reads "You can create an article with this title or place a request for this page on the potential topics page." Click on the link that says "create an article with this title" and a blank edit page will arise. Type away!
When to use which method?
- Method 1 (placing a link on a page that already exists) is generally prefered, because the new page will already have a page linking to it. Method 2 will create "orphan pages" which have no pages linking to them - you'll have to go find a place to link from them if you want anyone to see it. Click here to see a list of orphan pages.
Editing A Pre-existing Page
At the top of the page you will see four different "tabs." They are:
- move & watch are also present if you have a username.
To edit the page you are on, click the "edit" tab and it will take you to the edit page.
Basic Wiki Markup
To get you started, here are the basics in Wiki markup language. WikiMedia software (the same software that WikiPedia uses) supports some but not all HTML. Wiki language isn't hard either, just a bit different.
|What you want to do:||How to do it:|
|To create sections, do the the following in order.
(==)For a New Section
==For a New Section== ===For a New Subsection=== ====For a New Sub-Subsection==== NOTE: this format wasn't used on the left because it would mess up the format of the table of contents. This shows how it should look for proper formatting.
|To insert a horizontal line,
To insert a horizontal line, ----
|Link to a page within WikiLou such as the main page.|
[[page title|link text]] ex: [[Main_Page|main page]]
|Link to a page outside of WikiLou such as Google|
|Insert a picture.
[[Image:filename.type]] where "filename" is the file name ".type" is .jpg or .gif or whatever type of file it is
|Make text bold!|
Make text '''bold!''' use three '
|Make text italic!|
Make text ''italic!'' use four '
|Make text bold and italic!|
Make text '''''bold and italic!''''' use five '
|Lists are pretty easy
Lists are pretty easy *all you need to do **to make a list ***is use the asterik (*) ****to make the bullet points!
|Lists are pretty easy
Lists are pretty easy #all you need to do ##to make a list ##is use the number sign (#) #to make numbered points!
|:To indent a line all you have to do is use a colon
To start a new paragraph, just start a new line.
:To indent a line<br>all you have to do is use a colon. To start a new paragraph, just start a new line.
|When leaving a comment on a Talk page it is a good idea to sign it.
To sign with just your user name use three tildes:
Or four for name, date and time
Or five for just date/time
When leaving a comment on a Talk page it is a good idea to sign it. To sign with just your user name use three tildes: :~~~ Or four for name, date and time :~~~~ Or five for just date/time :~~~~~
Need More Help?
Here are some pages about more advanced editing, as well as some pages that are simply more in-depth about itmes already covered on this page. You may find these useful in your wikiventures. See Category:Help for a full list of all editing help pages.