Normandy is a city in St. Louis County. The population was 5,153 at the 2000 census.
Normandy is located at(38.715551, -90.300284).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.8 mi², all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,153 people, 2,166 households, and 1,163 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,826.3/mi². There were 2,316 housing units at an average density of 1,270.3/mi². The racial makeup of the city was 26.82% White, 66.68% African American, 0.25% Native American, 3.18% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.47% from other races, and 2.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.28% of the population.
There were 2,166 households out of which 30.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 23.9% were married couples living together, 24.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.3% were non-families. 34.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 18.9% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 17.6% from 45 to 64, and 8.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 82.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,802, and the median income for a family was $31,628. Males had a median income of $29,333 versus $25,634 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,399. About 17.3% of families and 24.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.1% of those under age 18 and 18.6% of those age 65 or over.
Normandy was named by Jean Baptiste Charles Lucas, who chose the name because of it's resemblence of his native provence of France. In the 1800s, Normandy was known mainly for it's Catholic institutions, as it was still a very rural area. St. Peters Cemetary was established here in 1855. St. Vincent's Sanitarium moved here from it's prior home in Soulard in 1895. Marillac College was here until it's closing in 1974. The campus was bought by the University of Missouri-St. Louis in 1976, and it currently houses UMSL's South Campus.
The Glen Echo Country Club was formed here in 1901.
- "Where We Live: A Guide to St. Louis Communities", from the Missouri Historical Society
<googlemap lat="38.70539" lon="-90.299879" zoom="11" width="700" controls="large">38.70539, -90.299879, Normandy, MO, USA</googlemap>