Shrewsbury is a city in St. Louis County. The population was 6,644 at the 2000 census.
Shrewsbury is located at(38.587902, -90.326989).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.4 mi², all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,644 people, 3,266 households, and 1,407 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,655.4/mi². There were 3,390 housing units at an average density of 2,375.4/mi². The racial makeup of the city was 93.98% White, 1.48% African American, 0.18% Native American, 2.63% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.54% from other races, and 1.17% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.69% of the population.
There were 3,266 households out of which 17.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.0% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 56.9% were non-families. 47.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.91 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the city the population was spread out with 15.6% under the age of 18, 10.8% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 17.4% from 45 to 64, and 26.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 78.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,896, and the median income for a family was $57,007. Males had a median income of $40,951 versus $35,018 for females. The per capita income for the city was $27,479. About 3.1% of families and 8.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
Shrewsbury was officially plotted in 1889. The land which became Shrewsbury originally belonged to Gregorie Sarpy and Charles Gratiot; by 1890, it was divided into farms and sold to families. The area now known as Shrewsbury was a 278 acre farm owned by John J. Murdoch. The developers named Murdoch's farm "Shrewsbury Park" after a village in England.
In 1913, concerned resident Joseph Burge organized the Shrewsbury Improvement Association to improve Shrewsbury and develop its first sewer system. Shrewsbury was incorporated and became a village in 1913; shortly thereafter a sanitation system was established, reducing water-born diseases prevalent at the time.
In 1938, the United States Government offered financial aid to the City of Shrewsbury and land was acquired for the construction of a new City Hall replacing the 1912 original. The new City Hall building was completed in October 1938. Shewsbury’s new fire engine house and state-of-the-art equipment were dedicated in 1947; it was during this period that the Shrewsbury Garden Club was formed to maintain the beautiful trees and flowers throughout the city. The early 50s were marked by the expansion of the public bus routes to connect Shrewsbury to St. Louis. The 60s and 70s were times of great community growth, noted by the construction of city parks, a municipal pool, and Interstate 44.
The ‘80s and ‘90s saw increased development of new homes, condominiums, apartments, shopping areas, and a new and improved City Center, which opened May 8, 1993 to coincide with Shrewsbury’s 80th year of incorporation.
The city hired its first City Administrator in 1997. The Shrewsbury Board of Aldermen recently concluded its plans for the next Metro Link extension. They also approved plans for a new aquatic center and allocated $4 million for street improvements. Shrewsbury is home to the seminary of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis, Kenrick-Glennon Seminary.
<googlemap lat="38.590577" lon="-90.322723" zoom="13" width="700" controls="large">38.594468, -90.326328, Shrewsbury, MO</googlemap>