St. Louis Historical Timeline
This timeline is a work in progress. Feel free to add important dates, format the unformatted sections, further research what is mentioned here, and just generally improve this timeline. It is meant to provide a historic overview of all things that have shaped the city to this day, and provide links to more information on each subject.
- The St. Louis area was first explored by Hernando de Soto, but Spain made no effort to colonize the area
- Louis Jolliet and Jacques Marquette explored the area for France, but they chose to create settlements in central Illinois.
- The first black slaves arrive in St. Louis. 500 slaves were brought here from island of Santo Domingo (the French colony of Haiti) by Philippe Renault. The slaves worked in the lead mines west of St. Genevieve. Some were boatmen on the Mississippi.
- Pierre Laclede chose the site of St. Louis, announcing "I have found a situation where I am going to form a settlement which might become, hereafter, one of the finest cities in America..."
- France ceded Louisiana Territory to Spain
- René Auguste Chouteau arrived in St. Louis
- Village named for Saint Louis by Laclede
- Marie Chouteau arrived in St. Louis
- First houses were built in St. Louis
- Arrival of St. Ange de Bellerive
- Spain assumed control of the Louisiana Territory
- A record of property deeds, called the "Livre Terrien", began being kept
- Chouteau's Pond created
- The Village of Louisbourg (Carondelet) was founded
- Spanish Commandant Pedro Piernas arrived in St. Louis. He paid rent to stay in the home of Pierre Laclede.
- Spanish census - Total population: 597; White Males: 248; White Females: 151; Slave Males: 116; Slave Females: 82
- Father Valentine, a Franciscan, became the city's first resident priest
- Trade stopped with local Native Americans at the order of Pedro Piernas. This was due to Native American raids on smaller settlements in the region.
- Pedro Piernas left, and was replaced by Commandant Francisco Cruzat
- St. Louis' First Church was completed at 2nd Street between Walnut and Market
- Cruzat left St. Louis
- Pierre Laclede died en route to St. Louis from New Orleans. His burial site is unknown.
- Gabriel Cerre, a wealthy merchant and friend of Laclede, moved to St. Louis. He was the richest person in St. Louis, one of the largest local landowners (with over 6000 acres in the area), and held the most slaves in the region (43 of them).
- Commandant Francisco de Leyba arrived
- Leyba assisted American Commander George Clark with supplies to help Clark's attack on the British at Fort Vincennes, Indiana. The Spanish worried about a British attack on St. Louis and saw helping the American Revolution as a way to weaken Britian.
- The first regular rowboat ferry across the Mississippi was set in place
- Leyba ordered fortifications built around St. Louis for fear of British attack. These included a 30-foot tower, called Fort San Carlos, on the west side of the village, and entrenchments on all other sides. Work was done largely by local volunteers, and the work was funded by de Leyba.
- De Leyba died, and former Commandant Francisco Cruzat returned
- Americans started arriving on the Mississipi's east bank. French residents of St. Louis started referring to the east side of the river as the "American Bottoms."
- Charles Gratiot moved to St. Louis from Cahokia
- British attack in the Battle of St. Louis, 92 St. Louisians die (over 1/10th of the population at the time).
- Spain closed the Lower Mississippi to all foreigners. This was aimed mainly at Americans, to slow the flood of emigrant Americans moving west. It effectively cut off the supply route on the Mississippi River for everyone by Spaniards.
- Lower Mississippi River opened to Americans, with a 15% tariff on all goods shipped by non-Spaniards.
- Louisiana Territory opened to Americans, with free land offered to settlers
- Spanish census - Total population: 1,188; White Males: 505; White Females: 332; Free Mulatto Males: 10; Free Mulatto Females: 13; Free Negro Males: 8; Free Negro Females: 6; Slave Mulatto Males: 39; Slave Mulatto Females: 36; Slave Negro Males: 128; Slave Negro Females: 111
- A mulatto woman received a land grant from the Spanish, making her the first African American to own land in Laclede's Landing. (name unknown?)
- Pinckney Treaty of 1795 - removed the 15% tariff for shipping on the Lower Mississippi, allowing Americans to ship goods for free. It was also known as the Treaty of San Lorenzo.
- Spanish census - Total population: 975; White Males: 390; White Females: 261; Free Mulatto Males: 16; Free Mulatto Female: 18; Free Negroes Male: 1; Free Negroes Females: 7; Mulatto Slave Males: 37; Mulatto Slave Females: 48; Negroes Slave Male: 100; Negroes Slave Female: 97
- The Village of Louisbourg is renamed as Carondelet
- The local population was approximately 925
- The Treaty of San Ildefonso returned possession of the Louisiana Territory (including St. Louis to Napoleonic France, but the deal was kept secret until 1903
- Louisiana Purchase
- Census - Total population: 9,373. Whites: 7,876; Blacks (free and slave): 1,497
- Three Flags Day
- Lewis and Clark Expedition
- St. Louis became the territorial capital of the new Louisiana Territory
- Governor Wilkinson has Zebulon M. Pike find the source of the Mississippi River
- First St. Louis newspaper: The Missouri Gazette and Louisiana Advertiser
- The town's first police force was established. It was originally four unpaid volunteers, who served on a rotating basis. Able-bodied men age 18+ were required to patrol for four months of the year. This was the only police system for the next 10 years. Refusal to serve on patrol carried a fine of $1.
- St. Louis incorporated on November 27. The original board of trustees included William C. Carr, Jean Cabanne, Edward Heapstead, William Christy, and Auguste Chouteau.
- Two fire companies were formed by town ordinance. They both consisted of male volunteers ages 18+.
- Population estimated to be 1,200
- Stone House Built on "Chouteau's Hill"
- An ordinance established the position of "Overseer of Roads", and two positions as property appraisers. Every able-bodied man age 21+ was required to work on the roads for a period of between 2 and 30 days. The length of time depended on the value of each person's property, and substitutes were allowed.
- New Madrid Earthquake
- Brick homes and stores started to appear. Brick was used for its durability, and because of a lack of available of lumber in the area.
- The Market House on the Public Square was completed. Each of its 12 stalls were rented for $10-$30 per year.
- The Missouri Gazette broke news of the War of 1812 on July 11.
- The Louisiana Territorial Government was reorganized. Missouri was made a 2nd class territory, with St. Louis as its capital.
- The Committee for Public Safety was formed as worries about British-Indian attacks grew due to the War of 1812 being fought.
- The first thespian society was formed, and its members built The Theatre, which was the first theatre in St. Louis.
- Louis William Valentin DuBourg was consecrated Bishop of the Louisiana Purchase area and moved to St. Louis.
- A treaty was signed with 19 Native American tribes at Portage des Sioux. With the end of the War of 1812 the same year, St. Louisian's minds were eased from the fear of attack.
- The population in 1816 was estimated at 3,000. The town had grown 250% in five years.
- What can be considered the first "subdivision" was built in the area between Fourth to Seventh Streets, and from St. Charles to Spruce Streets. It was built by Auguste Chouteau and John B. C. Lucas, and was referred to as building "on the hill."
- On August 2, the first steamboat arrived in St. Louis. It was named the Zebulon M. Pike, in honor of the early explorer of the Mississippi.
- Benton-Lucas Duel at Bloody Island
- The first streets were paved with cobblestones
- The Irish Emmigrant & Corresponding Society was founded to help Irish people who wanted to immigrate to the U.S. After the War of 1812, Irish immigration boomed.
- First Police Captain appointed and paid $400 annually, and police increased to 6 officers, one of which being a one-armed man. Two officers were specifically assigned to night patrol.
- Bishop DuBourg formed the St. Louis Academy with his personal 8,000 volume library. The academy would later become Saint Louis University.
- Local Baptists organized the first African-American sunday school in St. Louis. Slaves were allowed to attend, with permission from their owners. About 90 student attended initially. It would later become the First African Baptist Church in 1827.
- The Erin Benevolent Society was formed to help poor Irish in St. Louis and Ireland. On March 17, the Society held a procession and banquet in honor of Saint Patrick, which it continued to do annually for many years.
- Panic of 1819
- A brick cathedral was built by order of Bishop DuBourg on Laclede's church square between 2nd & 3rd Streets. It is now the site of the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France.
- The first city directory was published
- On December 9, the Missouri legislature passed a bill that incorporated St. Louis as a city. The bill authorized a mayor and nine aldermen, and politically separated the city into 3 wards. The city's boundaries began at Ashley Street in the north, ran west to about Seventh and Carr Streets, then south along Seventh Street to Rutger and east to the river, embracing an area of 385 acres.
- The Police Department expanded by appointing a new captain and 26 new lieutenants. In addition to patrol duties, patrolmen had to ring the church bells at 10:00pm during the summer months and 9:00pm during the rest of the year.
- St. Louis Arsenal was established by an act of Congress
- The brick structure of the First African Baptist Church was built. It is now the oldest Baptist church for African Americans in St. Louis.
- On November 26, the Mullanphy Hospital became the first Catholic hospital in the U.S., and the first hospital run by women. The hospital took any patient, regardless of race or ability to pay for treatment.
- Census - Total Population: 14,125; White: 11,109; Free Colored: 220; Slaves: 2,796; Aliens: 42
- Francis McIntosh is burned alive by a mob on April 1
- St. Louis Hospital completed
- First Waterworks created at Ashley and Collins Streets
- Saint Louis University was chartered, making it the first university west of the Mississippi
- St. Louis Cathedral consecrated
- Panic of 1837
- St. Louis Theatre opened
- The State of Missouri created the Bank of Missouri. It was considered the strongest bank west of the Appalachians, and was one of few banks not to fold during the Panic of 1837.
- The St. Louis Marshal's Office was created by city ordinance.
- Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod was founded
- The Police Department added 16 more officers to the night watch. Part of their duties included announcing "Twelve o'clock and all's well" at midnight.
- Census - Total Population:: 35,979; White: 30,505; Free Colored: 858; Slaves: 4,616; People employed in Agriculture: 3,996; Commerce: 1,011; Manufacturing: 3,034; entire area's assessed value: $8,682,000
- St. Paul African Methodist Church was founded
- The dominant Whig Party split into pro-immigrant and anti-immigrant factions. Immigration riots were caused, and an indirect effect was the rise of the Democratic Party's power.
- The first "bus" system started. It served from Third and Market Streets to the north side ferry landing at Madison Street. It was begun by Erastus Wells and Calvin Case, and a ride cost 5 cents.
- Knights of Liberty founded
- The first public transportation was started. It was a horse-drawn bus line from Third and Market Streets to the North St. Louis ferry landing at Madison Street.
- Great Flood of 1844
- A group of roughly 3000 anti-immigration rioters raided the Saint Louis University medical school, and destroyed laboratories, specimens, and other property.
- Dred Scott Case
- Mercantile Library Association Founded
- St. Vincent de Paul Society Formed
- The Police Department was reorganized to assign a captain, six lieutenants, and 48 officers to the night watch.
- Local population was approximately 77,860, with the entire area having an assessed value of $29,676,000
- Permanent cholera quarantine built on Arsenal Island. All visitors to St. Louis had to be examined before they could enter the city.
- City Council creates fund for first sewers by creating a .5% tax on property
- First Turnverein is organized
- Police Department purchased the "Black Maria", a wagon with barred windows, to transport prisoners. The expansion of St. Louis was making it too difficult for patrolmen to walk their suspects back to jail.
- w: Jenny Lind came to St. Louis, and hundreds of people packed the concert hall
- Iron Mountain Railroad was organized to bring lead ore to the city from out of state. It began at Second and Lami Streets, and ran through Carondelet and Jefferson Barracks.
- Lafayette Park dedicated
- Lucas Place became the City's first private neighborhood
- State Supreme Court Reverses the Dred Scott decision
- The Pacific and North Missouri railroads were built, becoming the first passenger trains west of the Mississippi. There was no bridge over the Mississippi, so passengers and cargo had to be ferried across.
- Washington University founded
- Grand Avenue laid out by Hiram Leffingwell. It was originally meant to be 8 lanes wide, but the City Council only approved 4 lanes.
- View of St. Louis in 1854
- November 1st Gasconade Bridge Train Disaster
- First public high school opened at 15th and Olive Streets. It was coeducational, but for whites only. (name/details?)
- St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Fair established
- July 4 - The first streetcar (at the time called a "street railroad") was completed on Olive Street
- Construction of Christ Church Episcopal begins at the corner of Third and Chestnut
- Frist baseball game in St. Louis at Fairgrounds Park on July 9th. The Morning Star Baseball Club beat the Cyclone Baseball Club by a score of 36 to 24.
- Eberhard Anheuser buys Bavarian Brewery and renames it E. Anheuser & Co.
- Population estimated at 161,000
- St. Louis Daily Press newspaper began
- Last slave auction in St. Louis on New Years Day on the Old Courthouse steps. Seven slaves were to be auctioned off, but the crowd refused to allow the price to rise above $8.00 per slave. The auctioneer gave up of his own accord.
- The St. Louis Police Department was put under state control by order of the state legislature, which was largely pro-southern, because the mayor and populous of St. Louis were pro-Union. Power over the police was placed with a Board of Commissioners appointed by the governor, which is how it is to this day. At the same time, James McDonough became St. Louis' first police chief.
- The governor's secession convention moves from Jefferson City to St. Louis' Mercantile Library, and rejects secession.
- Camp Jackson established
- Camp Jackson surrendered
- General John C. Fremont arrived in St. Louis in 1861 as commander of the Western Department of the U.S. Army. He declared martial law in St. Louis in an attempt to control tensions and conflicts in the border state town. He confiscated the property of rebels and freed their slaves. Anyone who wanted to leave the city required a pass.
- William Greenleaf Eliot and James Yeatman established the Western Sanitary Commission in 1861 to operate hospitals for the wounded and provide other sanitary services for the U.S. army.
- In November, General Henry W. Halleck took over as commander of the Department of the West in St. Louis.
- James B. Eads builds iron-clad riverboats for the Union Navy in order to help them wrest the lower Mississippi from the Confederacy. In only 100 days, he built seven ironclad riverboats at the Union Marine Works in Carondelet.
- Minute Men Organized
- See St. Louis in the Civil War for more details of this era
- Old Courthouse construction is finished. It had been under construction since 1839.
- Pro-Union refugees from outstate Missouri started arriving. They had been driven from their homes by their pro-southern neighbors and by fighting by raiders. General Halleck ordered that levies be assessed against southern sympathizers in the City to help pay for the costs of aiding refugees who were fleeing from pro-Confederacy rural areas.
- The state legislature authorized the City to build a new waterworks and created the Board of Water Commissioners. Construction did not begin until after the 1866 cholera epidemic.
- Lemp Brewery moves to its current location
- Missouri Constitutional Convention held at the Mercantile Library, which led to the statewide abolition of slavery.
- St. Louis Public Library founded
- Population estimated at 204,000
- Police Department increased to 225 officers. A new program to combat crime on steamboats was put into action. Steamboat captains would pay the Department $1/day to have an officer assigned to their boat.
- Missouri Historical Society founded
- 1866 Cholera Epidemic
- Bissell Point Plant is built
- Eads Bridge is constructed
- Mullanphy Emigrant Home is built
- Woman Suffrage Association of Missouri is formed
- The first police mounted patrol was formed under Chief William F. Finn. The goal was to prevent night robberies on the outskirts of the city.
- Masonic Building at 7th and Market Streets is completed
- The J.O. Pierce Home is built. It was locally know as the "Cracker Castle."
- Lyon Park is donated to the City
- Henry Shaw donates Tower Grove Park
- The largest of the local precolumbian Indian mounds, and the one that gave the city its nickname of "Mound City," is completely demolished.
- Cast iron fence is built around Lafayette Park. This fence survives to this day, even after the Tornado of 1896 destroyed many of the surrounding structures.
- St. Louis Sanitarium is completed and opened
- Adolphus Busch becomes partners with Eberhard Anheuser.
- Vandeventer Place designed
- Extension of city boundaries
- Municipal Courts Building constructed
- Carondelet annexed to St. Louis
- Sisters of St. Mary established
- Temporary City Hall constructed
- Panic of 1873
- Post office and customs house construction begins
- All Saints Episcopal Church founded
- View of St. Louis, 1874
- Pictorial St. Louis published
- St. Louis Globe-Democrat formed
- Sumner High School ppens
- Final 1876 extension of city boundaries
- Budweiser Beer developed
- St. Louis Brownstockings Join the National League
- Great Divorce of 1876
- Separation of St. Louis City from County
- Forest Park established
- 1876 Home Rule Charter
- Democratic National Convention of 1876
- St. Louis Real Estate Exchange chartered
- Southern Hotel Fire
- General Strike of 1877
- Mystic Order of the Veiled Prophet formed
- Veiled Prophet Celebration begins
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch is founded
- Eberhard Anheuser dies.
- Cable Street Railways introduced
- St. Louis Ethical Society founded
- St. Louis Labor and Trades Assembly Union is formed
- Annie Malone Childrens Home founded
- Republican National Convention of 1888
- St. Louis University moves from 9th and Washington to Lindell and Grand
- Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis formed
- Henry Shaw dies
- Population reaches 682,000
- Wednesday Club formed
- Lewis Place laid out
- St. Louis population reaches 451,770
- Normal School Opens at Sumner High School
- William Harris publishes "Hegel's Logic"
- City electrified
- Wainwright Building completed
- Cupples Station construction
- Theodore Dreiser Arrives in St. Louis
- First women appointed in city government
- Economic Panic of 1893
- William Marion Reedy named publisher at the St. ?? (Editor?)
- Eugene Field dies in Chicago.
- First pressed brick streets and alleys laid
- Sumner High School relocates
- Kate Field dies
- Republican National Convention of 1896
- View of St. Louis, 1896
- New City Hall opens
- Tornado of 1896
- Automobiles appear on the streets of St. Louis
- United Railways Company Started
- Frankie kills "Johnny"
- St. Louis selected as site for 1904 World's Fair
- Transit Workers Strike
- Rolla Wells is elected mayor
- Poro College founded
- St. Louis baseball team is named the Cardinals
- New water treatment system is installed
- Civic Improvement League established
- Kingshighway Commission chartered
- St. Louis Browns Join the American League
- American Tent & Awning Co. Fire
- Population estimated at 575,000, making St. Louis the nation's 4th largest city.
- 1904 World's Fair and 1904 Olympic Games
- A shootout with train robbers causes the death of 3 St. Louis policemen, making it the single deadliest event for the police department to this day.
- Association of Colored Womens Clubs organized
- Public Buildings Commission chartered
- St. Louis Women's Trade Union League founded
- View of St. Louis, 1907
- First airplane flight in St. Louis
- St. Louis Equal Suffrage League founded
- First African-American elected official
- St. Louis Zoological Society is formed
- City Plan Commission established
- St. Louis Argus founded
- Railway Exchange is built
- World's first parachute jump
- St. Louis Zoo created
- Federal Reserve Bank District established
- St. Louis NAACP formed
- Pageant & Masque is held
- Segregation initiative is passed
- Aluminum ore race riot
- St. Louis Urban League established
- American Legion formed
- St. Louis Cardinals become tenants of Browns
- People's Motor Bus Company established
- Prohibition breeds crime in St. Louis
- League of Women Voters of St. Louis founded
- First radio station in Missouri built
- Lemp Brewery sells at auction
- The Traffic Division of the Police Department was formed with 122 automobiles and 44 motorcycles.
- Bond Issue of 1923
- Air Pollution and smoke regulation
- Webster University founded
- International Air Races at St. Louis
- St. Louis Club Building fire
- Dinky Trolley Line goes bankrupt
- KMOX Radio Station goes on the air
- Voters Defeat 1926 proposed expansion
- Tower Grove Park expands
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1926 World Series
- Charles Lindbergh makes solo trans-Atlantic flight
- Tornado of 1927
- Waterworks at Howard's Bend
- St. Louis American is founded
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1928 National League Pennant
- A new police academy was formed. In a four week session, each recruit learned patrolling, target practice, first aid, calisthenics, geography, spelling, penmanship, boxing, and swimming.
- Depression and the Stock Market Crash
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1930 National League Pennant
- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport dedicated
- Ted Drewes frozen custard opens
- St. Louis Cardinals' Gas House Gang
- The Police Department began its own radio station, and 50 patrol cars were equipped with receivers. The beginning of the modern police dispatcher was here. Also, police reports were introduced, and records were kept of all violations and incidents.
- Homer G. Phillips murdered
- 1932 Bond Issue
- Unemployment rate peaks during Great Depression
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Association
- WPA provides work relief
- Civic Improvements Program
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1934 World Series
- 1935 Bond Issue
- First Labor Union victory by Gas Workers' Union
- Black Tuesday
- Municipal Opera established
- McDonnell Aircraft Corporation founded
- 1940 Census
- Admiral riverboat completed
- Smoke-Abatement Law enacted
- 1940 All -Star Game hosted in St. Louis
- World War II affects local manufacturing
- MacArthur Bridge named
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1942 World Series
- Women's Auxiliary Army Corps formed
- Urban Developments Corporation Law
- Meet Me in St. Louis premieres
- Streetcar Series
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1944 World Series
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1946 World Series
- 1947 Comprehensive City Plan
- St. Louis CORE established
- Waterfront redevelopment projects
- Bi-State Development Agency created
- LCRA is established
- Farris appointed LCRA director
- St. Louis Cardinals are sold to Busch
- Harris and Stowe Colleges merged
- St. Louis Sewer District created
- Plaza Square renewal
- LCRA and Housing Authority combined
- Lafayette Area declared blighted
- Peabody Coal Company Building completed
- Mill Creek Valley renewal
- New Sports Stadium proposed
- Redevelopment recommended for Kosciusko
- Thomas Jefferson Building completed
- Murphy Area declared blighted
- Kosciusko Project underway
- Hot-air balloon record
- Mayor's MBDC Founded
- City Population: 750,026
- Missouri Employment Security Building completed
- Federal Building at 15th and Market completed
- DeSoto-Carr/Murphy Areas funds sought
- Mark Twain Expressway opened
- Developer selected for stadium
- Junior College District created
- Bond issue for city share of stadium cost
- 1962 Borough Plan defeated
- Parkside Plaza completed
- Famous Barr Garage completed
- Bi-State purchases Public Service Transit Co.
- St. Louis RIDC established
- MO General Assembly Municipal Planning Act passed
- Executive Building completed
- First National Bank addition
- Grandel and West End Project progress
- University of Missouri-St. Louis opens
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1964 World Series
- Regional Industrial Development Council founded
- Kiener Plaza East Garage completed
- Huck Finn Excursion Boat
- Teachers select Mill Creek Site
- Grant sought for West End Rehab Project
- St. Louis Univ. Redevelopment Plan for Mill Creek
- Bicentennial of the city's founding
- St. Louis Centre North Garage completed
- Days Inn at the Arch completed
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
- Southwestern Bell Building completed
- Mayor's Beautification Commission founded
- East-West Gateway Coordinating Council founded
- West End Rehab begins
- Montgomery, Murphy-Blair, DeSoto-Carr Renewal
- Warwick addition
- Clarion Hotel-St. Louis
- ACTION established
- East-West Gateway Coordinating Council established
- Farm Credit Banks Building constructed
- Sports Stadium approved/built
- C. L. Farris resigns
- Busch Memorial Stadium dedicated
- Busch Stadium completed
- Stadium East and Stadium West garages completed
- Mansion House Center completed
- Last streetcar line disappears
- Kiener Memorial Plaza completed
- Ethyl Petroleum Building completed
- Best Western St. Louisian
- Former General American Agencies Building built
- 1967 St. Louis Tornado Outbreak
- Chapter 100 enacted by Missouri legislature
- Edison Brothers Store Addition
- Kiener Plaza West Garage Completed
- Union Market Leased to Merchant Tenants
- St. Louis Cardinals Win 1967 World Series
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1968 National League Pennant
- St. Louis Sentinel founded
- Gateway Arch officially dedicated
- Becky Thatcher Excursion boat completed
- Gateway Tower Building completed
- Model City Agency established
- Downtown mall area blighted
- Pet Inc. international headquarters
- LaSalle Park plan approved
- NDP Funding for DeSoto-Carr and other projects
- LCRA and Housing Authority separated
- Lt. Robert E. Lee Restaurant Boat completed
- Mark Twain St. Louis Bank completed
- Laclede Gas Building completed
- Federal Building completed
- Ralston Purina Tower completed
- Relocation Agency established
- St. Patricks Day Parade started
- Zoo-Museum District created
- Operation Breakthrough targets Mill Creek Valley
- Equitable Building completed
- 500 Broadway Building completed
- Land Reutilization Authority (LRA) established.
- Kiel Auditorium garage completed
- Construction begins in LaSalle Park redevelopment
- RCGA formed
- Eads Bridge railroad tracks closed
- Cervantes Convention Center built
- Community Development Agency (CDA) created
- St. Louis Port Authority created
- Ruth C. Porter Mall completed
- Post office annex completed
- Ground Broken for convention center with LCRA Aid
- Mercantile Tower completed
- CDA opens for business at the 1015 Locust building
- John Roach appointed CDA executive director
- Holiday Inn Riverfront Conversion completed
- Convention Center Interchange completed
- CDA funding initiated
- Pruitt-Igoe Housing Complex imploded
- Local Development Company (LDC) created
- Boatmen's Tower completed
- Marriott's Pavilion Hotel's first tower completed
- Breckenridge Hotel replaces Spanish Pavilion
- Don Spaid appointed CDA executive director
- Local public works program undertaken in 1977
- Alley lighting completed
- Sheraton St. Louis hotel completed
- Lennox Hotel renovation and conversion
- General American Life Insurance Building completed
- Jefferson Arms
- Greyhound bus terminal renovated
- Continental Trailways Terminal Addition completed
- Union Electric Co. Addition
- MEDAC created
- Industrial Development Authority (IDA) created
- CDA Economic Development staff move to PIEA
- Heritage and Urban Design Commission created
- 801 N. 11th Street Building completed
- YMCA Contemporary Tower converted
- Koken Building completed
- United Exposition Service completed
- Columbus Squares Apartments Completed
- Holiday Inn Downtown completed
- O'Fallon Place completed
- Fair St. Louis
- Cochran Plaza completed
- Schoemehl appoints executive director of development
- Business Assistance Center (BAC) created
- Frank Hamsher is Director of CDA
- Major layoffs Occur at CDA
- Boatmen's Plaza completed
- 1010 Market Street office tower is completed
- Chouteau Center is completed
- 910 N. 11th St. building completed
- A second round of layoffs occur at CDA
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1982 World Series
- Desegregation program begins for St. Louis public
- Office of Business Development (OED) is created
- St. Louis Place completed
- U.S. Sprint Building completed
- Ryder Truck Building completed
- 901 N. 10th St. Building completed
- Edison Brothers Stores and parking garage
- Lucas Park Loft Apartments completed
- One Bell Center completed
- Mercantile Bank facility completed
- Embassy Suites Hotel completed
- Thrifty Inn completed
- Hyatt Regency St. Louis completed
- Deborah Patterson named development director
- Tom Nash appointed head of OBD
- Union Station reopens
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1985 National League Pennant
- St. Louis Centre opens
- A.E. Lottes building completed
- One City Centre completed
- Gateway One on the Mall completed
- Adam's Mark Hotel completed
- Port Authority is folded into OBD
- MagneTek Century Electric Building completed
- MCI Building completed
- Brinks Building completed
- Football Cardinals leave St. Louis
- St. Louis Cardinals win 1987 National League Pennant
- Economic Development Commission created
- Operation Conserv established in building division
- Drury Inn Union Station completed
- Mercantile Bank Operations Center completed
- Power House completed
- Forsythe Plaza at Union Station reconstructed
- J. Christopher Grace - executive director of development
- Anthony Williams appointed as director of CDA
- Metropolitan Square and parking lot completed
- Union Electric corporate headquarters
- A.G. Edwards North Tower completed
- Dennis Coleman - executive director of development
- Sherwood Medical Building completed
- Daniel and Henry Building completed
- Drury Inn Convention Center completed
- EDC renamed St. Louis Development Corporation
- CDA, SLDC, HUDC, Op. Impact @ 330 N. 15th St.
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Southwestern Bell Information Systems center
- Metrolink opens
- Flood of 1993
- Rams win Superbowl XXXIV
- The Nord St. Louis Turnverein burns on July 4th, leaving it all but completely demolished.
- November 18 - Anheuser-Busch is acquired by InBev.
- History of St. Louis - A story-type version of St. Louis' history
- Local Registered Historic Places
- St. Louis in the Civil War
- Local Jewish History
- St. Louis Virtual City Project
- St. Louis Historic Preservation
- History's Time Portal to Old St. Louis
- History's Time Portal to Old St. Louis: Census Demographics