St. Mary's High School
St. Mary’s High School is a Catholic high school located in the heart of St. Louis. A part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis, St. Mary’s High School serves young men in the Marianist tradition.
St. Mary's High School opened its doors under the name South Side Catholic High School in September 1931. For the first two years, its teachers were Christian Brothers. The first classrooms were small wooden structures located on the property of nearby St. Joseph's Orphanage.
In September 1933, members of the Society of Mary (Marianists) took over the school. A faculty of ten Brothers of Mary taught 275 students. The school moved from the "portable" classrooms to the old St. Joseph's Orphanage building in 1935, after the building had been remodeled for high school use. The first graduating class numbered 62. Affiliation with the University of Missouri St. Louis and with the North Central Association was obtained in 1936.
Enrollment and faculty grew steadily from 1933, reaching a peak in 1946 with 1,100 students. The name of the school was changed from South Side Catholic High School to St. Mary's High School in 1947. The first gymnasium was constructed in 1937 and remodeled in 1965.
In 1964, a new brick and concrete structure, located onrth of the old school building site, was completed and opened with an enrollment of 883 students. The new structure, valued at $1,500,000, comprised 19 classrooms, three science labs, language lab, library, cafeteria, administrative offices, third-floor living quarters for 30 Marianists, a dining room for the Marianists and a suite for the domestics.
In February 1967, a new wing costing $374,420 was completed including a new guidance complex, teacher preparation room, biology lab, chemistry lab, typing room, seven conventional classrooms and four classrooms that could be converted into two large size rooms accommodating 110 students each.
In 1988 ground was broken for a new athletic complex which, when completed, included a turf soccer/football field and a six-lane all weather track. Lights were added in 1992.
On September 17, 1992, the gymnasium, which had been erected in 1938, was destoryd by fire. In march 1993, construction began on the Archbishop John L. May Athletic Complex. This complex included a state-of-the-art wooden floor, mezzanine with batting acge, along with an alumni meeting room and two weight rooms.
In 1993, other envoations were completed in the school, including the remodeling of the Media Resource Center and the installation of a computer network, which linked the computer room with the other academic areas of the school. This computer updating has enabled the school to expand its computer capabilities.
In July 1998, St. Mary's obtained from Catholic Charities the St. Joseph's Chapel. Restoration began one year later. Improvemets have been completed and the St. Mary's community now uses the chapel for both school and alumni liturgies.
During th summer of 2000 renovations began on the third floor of the school. This floor previously served as a residence for the Brother of Mary. The goal was to create a fine arts wing for St. Mary's in this area. A band room was created for the 2000-2001 school year. Two art rooms were added as of the 2001-2002 school year. Another classroom was renovated for use in the 2004-2005 school year. This completed the third floor.
Technology has played a significant role in St. Maty's meeting the demands of the 21st century teaching and learning. In 2004, ther entire campus incorporated wireless technology enabling faculty and students to use laptops throughout the school. As a result of an extremely generous gift by the alumni association, 25 P4 desktop computers with flat screened monitors were added to the Media Resource Center.
In 2006, the school is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its founding.
- Principal: Kevin Hacker
- Academic Principal: Jane Goff
- Address: 4701 South Grand Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63111
- Phone: (314) 481-8400
- Enrollment: unknown
- Grades: 9-12